The Own Up initiative is sponsored by the Beverage Alcohol Community Information Council (BACIC), a collective voice for Arizona companies and trade organizations, sharing a common interest in providing information to Arizona communities about beverage alcohol issues through education, advocacy, public awareness and community outreach.
Represented in the ranks of BACIC are restaurants and bars, retail stores, distributors and suppliers, hospitality and tourism groups, non-profit trade organizations, and others who support its mission.
Additionally, BACIC supports the enactment of a number of alcohol-related public policies through effective state-based legislation and regulation, including:
- Legislation to combat underage drinking, such as increased penalties for those who use or manufacture fake IDs and for adults who provide alcohol to minors
- Legislation requiring the mandatory use of ignition interlocks for repeat DUI offenders and offenders with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .15 or higher
- Use of effective and constitutional law enforcement measures against DUI
- Legislation to maintain strong and adequately-funded regulatory oversight of the liquor industry through the Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses and Control
- Public policies that preserve and enhance Arizona’s time-tested three-tiered regulatory system controlling the responsible production, distribution and sale of beverage alcohol